WSU Nmd Campus, Walter Sisulu University runs 175 academic programmes accredited by the Council of Higher Learning. WSU is a university of technology in Mthatha in the Eastern Cape.
It is a very large university with a student population of 26 700 and 4 campuses with several sites each.
- Mthatha: Nelson Mandela Drive; Zamukulungisa Heights
- Butterworth: Ibika
- Buffalo City: Cambridge Street; Buffalo City Stadium; Heritage Building (Cambridge Street), College Street; Chislehurst; Potsdam
- Queenstown: Masibulele and Grey Street
- Health sciences
- Education (one of the best in South Africa, offering an extensive range of programmes)
- Engineering & Technology
- Provide an educationally vibrant and enabling environment that is conducive to the advancement of quality academic, moral, cultural and technological learner-centred education for holistic intellectual empowerment, growth and effective use of information; Provide and maintain the highest possible standards in innovative learning and teaching, applied, basic and community-based research and community partnerships in cooperation with development agencies, the public and private sectors
- Provide affordable, appropriate, career-focused and professional programmes that address rural development and urban renewal with primary emphasis on science, technology and development studies
- Create a new generation of highly-skilled graduates capable of understanding and addressing complex societal challenges, with critical scholarly and entrepreneurial attributes grounded on morally sound work ethics and responsible leadership
- Nonkululeko Gobodo CA(SA), first black woman CA(SA) (B.Com)
- Terence Nombember CA(SA), Auditor General of South Africa since 2006 to 2013 (B.Com 1982)
- Academic Freedom: In line with our vision and mission as an accountable institution, we acknowledge our right to exercise academic freedom in a responsible way, in teaching and learning, in research and in community service.
- Access and success: We provide equitable access to higher and continuing education at all stages of adult life to students who have a potential to succeed.
- Quality: We commit to institution-wide quality management, value and reward excellence and uphold and protect the integrity of the University.
- Transformation: We are committed to addressing equity imperatives, diversity, and entrepreneurship and to democratic governance.
- People development: We are committed to the optimum development of the human resources potential and leadership capacity of all staff.
- Caring University: We commit to mutual respect, ubuntu, humility, good citizenship, student centredness and endorse and uphold all principles of Batho Pele*
- Resource Consciousness: We commit to utilising the University’s resources prudently and responsibly at all times with a view to adding maximum value to the institution.
The Walter Sisulu University will soon get a new 240 bed student residence at the Nelson Mandela Drive Campus and older residences at the Mthatha campus will also get a much needed revamp.
The Residence will consist of 10 units with 5 rooms each that can accommodate 8 students.
Buffalo City Campus will be next in line for a revamp.
2005: Border Technikon, Eastern Cape Technikon and University of Transkei merged to form the WSU named after Walter Sisulu.
2011: Financial problems saw the university placed under administration at the request of the council, management and WSU stakeholders.