UNIVEN Residence

UNIVEN Residence, Application for admission to a University residence must be made on the prescribed form to reach the University in September of the year which precedes the year in which he/she intends to register.

Please click here to access the residence application form for first entering students or click here to access the residence application form for returning students

By signing the application for admission a student undertakes to abide by the rules and regulations applying to residential students of the University of Venda as well as the disciplinary measure to be taken by the University in cases of infringement of these regulations.
The University reserves the right to refuse admission to any student without supplying reasons for doing so.
Residence Regulations
Allocation of Rooms

Rooms are allocated by residence authorities with the assistance of House Representative Committee members. You are at liberty to choose your roommate during room allocation if you have been allocated a double room. You are not allowed to swap rooms without the knowledge and consent of residence authorities.
Control and Authority
The control of and authority in the University residences is entrusted to the House Representative Committee and the Residence Committee.
The House Representative Committee

Students in each residence elect one representative to the House Representative Committee at the beginning of the academic year. The representatives elect a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and a Secretary. The House Representative Committee is responsible for the general welfare of resident students and the maintenance of order and discipline in the residences. The committee works in cooperation with the Hostel Superintendent, who is accountable to the Dean of Students. Problems in the residences are solved by the representatives with the help of the Superintendent. Only serious cases are referred to the Dean of Students.
The University´s Disciplinary code prevails.

Attitude Towards Property
Resident students are expected to cultivate a positive attitude towards University property.
Students who break, damage or destroy University property shall be compelled to make good the loss.
Students must respect the property of the University.The cost (material and labour) of damaged or broken residence property will be distributed equally among students concerned.
In every case of damage to property, the Residence Superintendent will assess the nature, extent of damage and the circumstances under which it occurred.
If the name of the culprit is known to the Resident Superintendent, the culprit will bear the repair cost alone.
Personal Property
The University assume no responsibility for theft, damage to personal property, or loss of money, valuables or personal effects of any student or guest.

Noise and Disruption of Studies
the period of silence in the residence, from 19:00 to 05:00, must be strictly observed for the purpose of study.
Television sets, portable radio and tape recorders must be operated softly or switched off during evening study hours.

Breakfast, Lunch and Supper Time
The prescribed times must be strictly adhered to. Students who are allergic to certain kinds of food are required to produce medical certificate to that effect.

Catering Personnel
A professional catering company is in the service of this University.
Catering personnel must be accorded the respect they deserve. They are not under the control of students.
Apparent irregularities on the part of catering personnel should be reported promptly to members of the House

Representative Committee for investigation.
Students who tamper with computer system will be reported to the residence authorities for appropriate action.
Students are required to have or take meals from the Student Cafeteria. Students who have paid for meals will use their student cards when they take meals. Queueing for meals in the student cafeteria must be observed.

Visitors to Residence
Students are required to report their visitors who intent to stay in the residence overnight to the Residence Superintendent for purposes of control.
People who stay in the residence without the knowledge and the consent of the residence authorities will be referred to the Security Section.

Room Keys
The room keys remain the property of the University.
Students are required to return their room keys to the Residence Superitendent whenever the University closes for vacation

Students who are bound to terminate their studies or wish to leave the residence of their own accord must return the room keys to the Superintendent.
A resident student who loses or misplaces a residence room key or fails to return it to the Superintendent at the end of the academic year or at any time if required to do so, will have his/her results withheld or pay for the cost of lock replacement.

Abuse of Alcohol and Habit-forming Substances
Students must abstain from alcohol and drug abuse.
Disruption of studies, which results from consumption of alcohol and drug abuse, will be viewed in a serious light.
Students, who purchase, store and sell liquor and dependency-producing substances will be guilty of a serious offence.

Aggressive and Unruly Behavior
University students are expected to behave in a manner that befits the public image and dignity of the University.

Fighting in the residence and the vicinity is forbidden.
Students who are found guilty of assaulting others will be severely penalized.
Unofficial Stay in the Residences
It is a serious offence to stay in the residence without official permission
Students are not allowed to share beds or to accommodate friends and relatives without prior approval. Hiring of beds or rooms is strictly forbidden.

Health Matters
Students who fall ill, and feel that medical attention is necessary, should report the matter urgently to the Professional Nurse in the Student Health Centre.
A consultation fee which is determined by Council is payable at the Student Health Centre.
Smoking is not permitted in any public area in the residences including lounges, passages, lobbies etc.

General Behaviour and Conduct
Wherever they may be, students are always expected to behave and conduct themselves in a manner which reflects respect and the dignity appropriate to University students.
Disciplinary measures will be taken against students who distort, damage or misrepresent the good name and public image of the University.

Voluntary Termination of Resident Status
Students who intend to leave the residence must notify the Superintendent in time.
A written declaration of intention to leave the residence must be accompanied by a room key.

Closure of residences during winter and summer vacations
Resident students will be required to leave the residences when the University closes for winter and summer vacations. Residences must be vacated at 10:00 following the day on which the University was closed. The University may request students to leave the residences during Easter holidays. Students are under no circumstances allowed to take room keys with when they leave for home.

Use of Residence Facilities during Winter and Summer Vacations
Students who wish to remain in the university residences during winter and summer recess must notify residence authorities in writing a month prior to university closure. Such students shall be required to pay a daily fee which shall be determined by the relevant authorities from time to time. Only students who will be engaged in academic programmes will be allowed to remain in the residences during winter and summer recess. The HODs or Deans of Schools will be required to indicate the nature of the academic activities for the duration of their stay in the residences.

Conducting of Business Activities on Campus Residences
Students are not allowed to conduct business activities, buying and selling of any commodity unless allowed to do so by the residence authorities.