UKZN Edgewood, Edgewood campus is the main site for teacher education and is situated in Pinetown with easy access to the N3, about 20 minutes’ drive from Durban.
Research and consultancy is offered as well as university higher degrees in vast range of education specialisations.
The staff at Edgewood are involved in the policymaking in education in the country and also contribute by participating in international conferences and also hosting international visitors.
- Curriculum studies
- Early childhood development
- Educational psychology
- Higher education development & training
- Professional studies
- Teacher development studies
- Access to internet with personal email
- Basketball and netball
- Consultants on duty to help students
- Jogging areas
- PC laboratories some open 24 hours a day.
- Printing facilities
- Swimming pool
- Tennis and squash
The school sees itself as being the leading site for educational theorising through research and development, with a focus on educational disciplines, educational methods, HIV/AIDS education, professional studies and early childhood studies.
- To be innovative in its approach (through its exploration of alternative methodologies) in teaching, research and engagement with communities
- Productive in its contribution to knowledge (by increasing its relevant research output by staff and students)
- Responsive to the needs of the teaching profession, schooling and education in general (by offering relevant and up-to-date curriculum that is responsive to established needs)
- Caring and supportive to its staff, students and communities it engages with (promoting respect, trust, collegiality and affirmation)
- Be respectful of, tentative to and critical in its engagement at all levels and spheres (through the ways of engagement in our activities)
Promoting scholarship among staff (in thinking and reflecting on what we are doing) and students (in re-defining students’ engagement with the curriculum)
11 Residences house over 630 students with catering and self-catering accommodation on offer.
- Single and double rooms are available.
- Women and men are housed separately as 55% of the students in residence are ladies.
- Postgraduate students can choose from five flats that house five students each.
- All residences are protected by access control doors