Wits Gemp, Wits Plus offers a part-time option for GEMP candidates from the Faculty of Health Sciences to assist with increasing the number of medical graduates.
The Graduate Entry Medical Programme (GEMP) allows entry of suitably qualified candidates who meet certain minimum requirements into the third year of the MBBCh degree. This provides candidates with the opportunity to complete their undergraduate medical studies in a period of only four years after which they enter their internship and government mandated community service period.
From 2018 GEMP candidates will be able to complete the three prerequisite courses on a part-time basis through Wits Plus:
- Chemistry (offered in Semester 2)
- Physics (offered in Semester 1)
- Biology (full year)
How does it work?
- Students need to register through Wits Plus as occasional students, i.e. for non-degree purposes. Upon completion they do not get certificates; only a statement of result.
- Chemistry classes will take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 17:30 to 20:00, followed by a tutorial from 20:00 to 21:00.
- Physics classes will take place on Tuesdays (17:30 to 20:00) and tutorials on Thursdays 17:30 to18:30.
- All courses require compulsory lab work: lab sessions will take place as follows (dates TBC):
Chemistry: four (4) consecutive full weekdays during November
Physics: three (3) consecutive days during mid-semester break (semester 1)
- These courses are prerequisites to GEMP and do not provide any credits to GEMP. However, students who want to study towards another degree that these courses form part of, will get credits.
- Students can only apply for GEMP once they have completed all three pre-requisite courses.
Please also take note of the following:
- It is strongly recommended that the GEMP prerequisite courses are completed over two (2) years, structured as follows:
Year 1: Physics (semester 1) and Chemistry (semester 2)
Year 2: Biology (full year)
- Biology consists of two separate semester courses with no aggregate. From 2019, students will have to start Biology in semester one, no mid-year start will be allowed.
How does it work?
2019 APPLICATIONS WILL BE OPEN FROM 1 AUGUST TO 31 OCTOBER 2018
Applicants need to download, complete and submit the Occasional Study Application Form in person at Wits Plus.
Please note: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they meet the minimum entry requirements for GEMP.
Certified copies of the following documents must be attached with the application:
- ID / passport
- Matric certificate
- previous undergraduate degree
- marriage certificate (if applicable)
Applicants will be expected to familiarise themselves with and sign the GEMP disclaimer.
Timetable and Fees
Download the complete 2018 GEMP timetable and fees
Tel: +27 11 717 9506
Tel: +27 11 717 9505
Tel: +27 11 717 9515