Unizulu Notable Alumni, Welcome to our alumni! We hope you will find information on this website to be both exciting and useful. As a University of Zululand (UNIZULU) alumnus/alumna you belong to a fast growing and unique network of people. Our alumni are empowered to make a difference in society and remain a key testament to our achievements as a comprehensive University.UNIZULU has a proud history of producing leaders in different spheres of society. Since its inception great leaders, professionals and business people have passed through its academic conveyor belt. It is this proud tradition and heritage that makes UNIZULU a leading University.
The first UNIZULU Convocation Committee was elected in 1984 with the late Prof PC Luthuli as the first president. Subsequent Presidents were Professor LM Magi, the late Jethro Ndlovu, Sisho Maphisa, Dr Simo Lushaba, Mpho Makwana, Vusi Mahaye, Advocate Simo Chamane and the current president, Bongumusa Makhathini.It is our role as UNIZULU’s Convocation Office to keep alumni connected to its alma mater by facilitating projects and initiatives that will advance the institutions academic trajectory and stakeholder partnerships in conjunction with its alumni, thereby fostering a greater network of growing professionals across sectors who will give back to the institution.
The Convocation of UNIZULU consists of:
- All persons who have obtained a qualification from the University, as approved by Senate and Council;
- All persons, other than persons referred to in subparagraph (c), who immediately before the commencement of this Statute were members of the University Convocation; and
- The Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor(s), Executive Officials, Registrar, Deans of faculties, academic employees on the staff establishment of the University, professors’ emeriti, retired employees and such other persons as the Council may determine.
The Functions of the Convocation are to :
- Facilitate liaison between the University and its former students and academic employees;
- Create networks and canvass support for the strategic objectives of the University, and
- Organise former students and academic staff members of the University with a view to facilitating representation of this constituency on appropriate governance structures.
The Convocation Executive Committee Members
|NAME & SURNAME||PORTFOLIO|
|Mr Nhlakanipho L Nkwanyana||Presidentemail@example.com|
|Mr Siyathokoza Mchunu||Deputy Presidentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Sizwe Zwane||Secretary||Sizwe.email@example.com|
|Mr Sandiso Ndimande||Executive Official Treasurer||Sandiso.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms Zamile Gwala||Executive Official||Zamile.email@example.com|
Annual General Meeting
The notice of this meeting will be announced to all members eight weeks prior to the date of the scheduled meeting. AGMs are held at the University’s main campus, KwaDlangezwa.
- Staying Connected and Getting Involved
- How do I stay connected? Upload your contact details on the UNIZULU alumni webpage. Encourage friends and other alumni you may know to upload their contact details on the alumni webpage. Regularly visit our website and update changes in contact details, employment and marital status. Regularly visit the UNIZULU website. Join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter.
- Getting Involved
Your success is our success. UNIZULU’s success depends on your willingness to get involved. There are many ways you can contribute to the success of your alma mater.
- Career Guidance
You can make a vital contribution to the career development of current students and young alumni. Develop students essential skills to enhance their employment opportunities. Conduct information sessions to share best practices, such as interview skills and acceptable work behavior. Encourage your employer/company to establish partnerships with UNIZULU to provide students and alumni with internships and work integrated learning.
- Career Guidance
Enhance the experience of current students by becoming a mentor. Sponsor a student project within your company. Post student employment opportunities on the UNIZULU social pages. Provide career advice to our undergraduates and pre-alumni. Obtain support in furthering your studies. Establish new networks with graduates.
- Student Recruitment
Support UNIZULU in its efforts to recruit quality students. Make referrals by encouraging your colleagues, friends and family to enroll their children at the university. Talk to UNIZULU students and share your student experience. Offer financial support to prospective academically deserving students.
Promote UNIZULU’s interest, welfare and pride among alumni. Provide support at institutional events. Participate as guest speaker, panelist or advisor. Take on leadership roles and participate in advisory institutional committees.
- Benefits of staying connected
An opportunity to catch up with old friends. Connecting to a talented, innovative, influential and very diverse population of UNIZULU alumni.Building relationships based on common interests. An opportunity to share professional experience and expertise. Thank You.
Giving back to UNIZULU
As an institution of higher learning, UNIZULU has a responsibility to provide quality education in an environment that is conducive to teaching and learning. Our institution is committed to ensuring students from disadvantaged backgrounds have access to tertiary education in conjunction with infrastructure that will advance their social and recreational development. However, due to the increased demand for access to higher education and limited resources, UNIZULU has embarked on projects to generate third stream income to facilitate institutional projects. To ensure the success of these projects, we require your professional expertise and support.
There are a number of ways you can assist, including enrolling our undergraduates into your corporate internship programme or recruiting our students to provide support or participate in in-service training opportunities during vacation periods