Wits Quantity Surveying, Quantity Surveyors are the financial managers and cost consultants of the construction industry and will have an influence on every stage of the construction process. They are the building economist and accountant of the building team responsible for financial viability and management of the project.
Successful completion of the Honours programme will place you on the path to professional registration with the South African Council for Quantity Surveying Profession (SACQSP), Association of South African Quantity Surveyors (ASAQS), Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and others. As a quantity surveyor, your role and responsibilities in industry will include the following:
- The overall cost control of a project
- Preparing estimates of costs prior to and during construction
- Preparing cash flows for the project
- Preparing schedules of materials for use in the project
- Controlling the cost of labour, plant and materials
- Advising the client on the various contractual methods available and the choice of the contractors
- Valuing the completed work of the contractor
- Calculating the running and maintenance costs of the project
- Finalising of all accounts
Success in the quantity surveying profession is likely to be achieved by graduates who are able to provide the right commercial response, express themselves clearly and logically, who are numerate and capable of abstract reasoning and who pay attention to detail. Quantity surveyors must have a leaning towards numerical calculations since they are likely to work with figures throughout their careers.
Quantity surveyors work closely with their clients and the other professionals in the construction team and must therefore be able to communicate effectively and enjoy interacting with people. Quantity surveying is a profession suited to both men and women.
BUQS4015 Commercial Procedures including Relevant Legislation
BUQS4016 Introduction to Construction Project Management
BUQS4017 Estimating and Analysis of Prices
BUQS4018 Property Finance and Investment
BUQS4019 Theory and Practice of Quantity Surveying
BUQS4020 Cost Evaluation and Control