External bursaries and scholarships are offered by off-campus organisations such as companies, NGOs, government departments, and SETAs. Students must apply to these organisations directly.
The Financial Aid Office has compiled a list of donors who provide financial aid to applicants who meet certain criteria.
List of donors for external bursaries and scholarships
Where else to look for bursaries and scholarships
- Employers of parents, friends, family
- Religious organisations
- Clubs, societies
- Your local municipality
- The institute or council of a specific career field
- Your local newspaper, magazines, the local library
- Career websites
How to apply for a bursary
- Write a short letter to ask for application forms for all the bursaries that you think you are eligible for.
- Apply early, well before the closing date – applications are not accepted after the closing date.
- Apply only for those bursaries you are eligible for.
- Apply for as many bursaries as possible.
- Only accept one bursary unless the organisation says you may apply for others.
- Be prepared for disappointment – you may not be successful the first time or the second time.
- Try to make another plan in case you do not get a bursary.
- A neat, accurate and honest application makes a good impression.
When you fill in your application form
- Answer all the questions.
- Complete the form neatly in print.
- Use black or blue ink only.
- Keep the form clean and in good condition.
- Carefully check the form for mistakes.
- Be completely accurate.
- Be completely honest.
- Include a certified copy of your most recent examination results signed by a Commissioner of Oaths, usually found at the local Post Office or Police Station.
- Ensure you attach all the supporting documents requested by the organisation
NSFAS Bursaries/ Loans
Honours and BTech scholarhips
Honours and BTech students are invited to apply for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) scholarships tenable at CPUT.
- This grant is exclusively for South African citizens.
- The forms must be hand-delivered at the CPGS offices.
- The assessment will be done by CPGS in line with other bursaries that are managed by CPGS.
- NB: late and incomplete applications will not be considered.