The Online Application System is intended for use by new prospective students submitting an application to UP for the first time. It is not intended for students presently registered at the University of Pretoria.
To use the Online Application System you will need the following:
- internet access
- an email address which you can access regularly, because as soon as you submit your online application, a student number (EMPLID) will be sent to this email address as confirmation of receipt.
Click on the videos link below for a step-by step guide on how to use the online application system, UP Portal and online contract.
1. Online Applications
2. Accessing the UP Portal
Online Application System instructions
- UP applications open on 1 March of the year preceding the year of study.
- Each prospective student must complete only one online application. On the online application the University of Pretoria offers a first and second choice in terms of what you wish to study. All applicants should fill in both a first and second choice on the online application.
- Once your online application has been processed, you will receive a student number(EMPLID).
- Receiving a student number (EMPLID) does NOT imply that you have been accepted by the University of Pretoria yet. Admission is a separate process that your application undergoes after being evaluated by the relevant faculty.
- It is in your best interest to complete your own online application. The University of Pretoria does not make use of representatives, agents or agencies during the application process. If you choose to make use of representatives, agents or agencies, you do so at your own risk. It is of utmost importance that you provide your personal email and postal addresses to enable the University of Pretoria to communicate with you directly.
- For the application for Distance Education admission (Faculty of Education) please visit the “Distance Education ” web page before you apply. Different rules are applicable.
- It is important to note that should you wish to study the selection programmes BSc(Arch)(Architecture) or BSc(Int)(Interior Architecture), you must indicate them as your first choice on your application, or you will not be considered for these programmes. It is also recommended to indicate the other selection programmes as your first choice on the online application.
Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and the national lockdown, many learners have been faced with various challenges. We have been monitoring all press conferences and strategies released by the Department of Basic Education and the Centre for Educational Testing for Access and Placement closely.
Closing dates have been extended for the BSc Architecture, Health Sciences, and Veterinary Science programmes.
The closing date for new applications for the 2021 intake in the Faculty of Health Sciences has been extended to 31 July 2020.
The closing date for new applications for the 2021 intake in the Faculty of Veterinary Science has been extended to 31 July 2020. The last date to submit the Value Added Forms is 31 August 2020.
The closing date for new applications for the BSc Architecture programme for the 2021 intake has been extended to 30 June 2020.